|How to Hookup a HDTV, VCR, DVD recorder and satellite receiver|
This connection involves a HDTV, VCR, DVD recorder and satellite box.
1. HDTV with 4 HDMI inputs, 2 RF antenna inputs, composite, component and S-video inputs.
2. HD Satellite Receiver (Dish Network) with HDMI, component and composite video outputs.
3. Standard VHS VCR.
4. DVD Recorder without a tuner and up-conversion with HDMI.
HDMI cable from Satellite Receiver to HDTV.
HDMI cable from DVD recorder to HDTV.
RF coaxial cable from VCR out to HDTV RF/ANT input.
RCA 3 cable (video/audio) from Satellite Receiver output to Audio/Video switch input.
RCA 3 cable from VCR output to A/V switch input.
RCA 3 cable from A/V switch output to DVD recorder line input.
What can you do with this setup:
1. Copy VHS tapes from VCR to DVD (non-commercial only) A/V switch on input 1 and DVD recorder on line input.
2. View VHS tapes on HDTV. HDTV set to RF input channel 3 (or 4).
3. View satellite TV shows on HDTV (select HDMI input 2 on HDTV).
4. View DVDs on HDTV (select HDMI input 1 on HDTV).
5. Record satellite TV shows on DVD recorder. A/V switch on input 2 and DVD recorder on line input.
Because the DVD recorder has no tuner, the line input (3 RCA cables) must be used for input. Since there is only one input for video and audio and since
there are 2 sources (VCR and satellite) providing input to the DVD, an audio/ video switch may be used to avoid swapping cables. There are a variety of
these switches available from simple to complex and some even have a remote control. You need one with at least 2 inputs and 1 output for RCA cables.
These A/V switches can be bought at electronics stores or online for about $25. For a list of switches like this, contact email@example.com
o Satellite TV Service such as Dish Network, DirecTV
o TV with VHF/UHF antenna input, HDMI and RCA audio/video inputs.
o Audio/Video RCA cables (1-yellow, 1-red & 1-white audio).
o HDMI Cables.
o Audio/Video switch box
o DVD recorder
o RF coaxial cable (RG-6)
Hook up DIAGRAM - Satellite TV box, HDTV, Tunerless DVD recorder, VCR, A/V switch box
Cables Connections and explanation:
Select input on switch box for VCR or satellite.
What settings do you need for this configuration?
The HDTV is set on HDMI 1, 2 or ANT input. DVD is set to line input.
Search Columbia ISA
Input Select on TV and other devices
Cable hookup digital cable and TV
Audio Video Connections and cables
HDTV hookup options
HDTV basic setup
See over 100 hookup diagrams
Columbia ISA - Empowering consumers